Ubuntu Touch Porting: next steps
We had our first Ubuntu Touch Porting clinic yesterday and we made quite a bit of progress there.
- Sergio Schvezov published a branch of phablet-tools, which will allow everyone to flash all kinds of devices (for which we have images) just by running something like phablet-flash community –device i9100 This should make things a lot lot easier for everyone. The only thing which needs to be done is to follow this process which documents where the images live. (Flipped images are not a requirement for this.)
- Lots and lots of questions were answered in order to port Ubuntu Touch images to the new world order of flipped images. Since some weeks the Android bits live on top of Ubuntu, which will make our journey towards convergence over device borders a lot easier. During the process we updated our (work-in-progress) porting guide with everybody’s findings. Thanks a lot everyone for your hard work in debugging, asking and replying to questions!
We want Ubuntu Touch to run on as many devices as possible and we need some help here.
If you have a device on which Ubuntu runs fine (our devices lists is here), you can help out by doing a couple of different things:
- Help with the porting effort to flipped images. Check out the new porting guide. Find other folks who are interested in the port on the mailing list or on IRC. Ask questions, make it a team effort.
- Document location of the images. Follow this process to document where the images live. Make sure you 1) use a location for the image which can be used by something like wget/curl without user intervention and 2) check if the newest phablet-flash can handle it. 3) PROFIT!
- If image information for your device is already up (list here), check out Sergio’s branch and let us know on the mailing list how things work for you!
These are awesome times for Ubuntu and with every new port, we’ll learn and fix more of general Ubuntu to make it work everywhere. Join the team today! :-)
Update: now it’s just
bzr branch lp:phablet-tools; cd phablet-tools ./phablet-flash community --device <vendor>