Don’t you love it when you get contributions to your project when you didn’t expect them at all?
By reaching out to contributors, thanking them and welcoming them to the Ubuntu community you do a lot to encourage them and help them integrate into your team more quickly. Generally I feel this is part of our culture already.
Discussions at UDS indicated what we probably could do better is:
- do this even more, try to be more personal,
- talk about it more, because it encourages others and motivates others who might still be a bit unsure about getting their feet wet,
- generally talk more about what we’re doing and what’s going on, to explain where you need help.
To help with this, we set up a team of people who work on weekly development news to get the word out. The only thing you need to do is send a quick mail to ubuntu-news-team AT lists dot ubuntu dot com with “[dev]” in the subject if it’s about Ubuntu development.
Feel free to send a just few lines about
- what you (or your team) is currently working on and where you might need help
- a new contributor who just helped your team out
In addition to this, this will give your work the publicity it deserves.
You can also tweet/dent/google+ with the hashtag #thxubuntu.
Thanks in advance! 🙂