The Ubuntu Packaging Guide has made a lot of progress since its inception and we have a bunch of great articles together already, which make it a lot easier for newcomers to get a sense of direction and find out how to use the tools.
Some of us have been filing bug reports about it recently, and it’d be great to get them fixed and out there. If you are new to the packaging world, but still want to help out, just say so in your merge proposal and we give it another fact check.
The good news is, the process of fixing these bugs is quite simple, just:
bzr branch lp:ubuntu-packaging-guide <edit and fix> bzr commit bzr push lp:~<yourlaunchpadid>/ubuntu-packaging-guide/<bugnumber> bzr lp-open <click on “(+) Propose for merging”>
Here is a list of bugs that would be great to have fixed:
- Update CSS of Packaging Guide to be in sync with developer.u.c (CSS gurus, please step forward)
- be explicit about installing packages from universe in getting-set-up
- apt-cache included in basic packaging software section
- Diagrams could be a bit more Ubuntu-y
- Mention http://screenshots.debian.net/upload in the packaging-from-scratch sections
- Please add to the footer a link how to propose fixes/changes to the guide.
- Advertise ‘setup-packaging-environment’ in getting-set-up article
- contributers → contributors
And here is a list of articles that still need to be written:
- Need a Quick Start Guide
- Add article about “Updating package versions”
- Add article “Python packaging”
- Add article explaining how to work with Debian/Upstream
- Add article that explains how to use Launchpad and Bugs
- Short article that explains PPA best practices
Be bold, propose changes - every little fix will help.
(Here’s a list of more bugs.)
If you haven’t checked out the Packaging Guide yet, here is it online, or install it like this:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ubuntu-packaging-guide-team/ppa sudo apt-get update sudo apt-get install ubuntu-packaging-guide