UDW2 - Day 2
Ubuntu Developer Week is definitely the epicenter of awesomeness. Let’s take a look at day two:
- “How do I fix an Ubuntu bug?” was a lot of fun. Lots of sharp questions and lots of really good fixes by the end of the session. We used Harvest to find some low-hanging fruit, verified the bug, tested the fix, test-built it and came up with a collection of good debdiffs. Yeeeehaw! Lots of excitement among the crowd!
- The audience had a good time with David Futcher who was up next with his “Introduction to BZR”. David shared a lot of insights into bzr and code hosting on Launchpad and everybody seemed quite pleased.
- Super Mario Limonciello joined us to take the plunge and experience the joys of “Kernel module packaging with DKMS”. His presentation was concise, to the point and demonstrated quite impressively, why DKMS is the way to go.
- Leonard Richardson (with the help of Barry Warsaw and Francis Lacoste) demonstrated “The Launchpad Web Service API” and got a huge amount of questions. I guess we’re going to see a lot of scripts and applications making use of the Launchpad API soon. Thanks a lot Launchpad Heroes!
- At the end of day 2, Brian Murray demonstrated his “Launchpad Hacks” and how to make use of Greasemonkey to change bits of the functionality of Launchpad pages, add additional information, etc. With Brian’s background in QA work it was pretty obvious to see how these hacks make working with bugs a lot easier.
And that was just day 2…. let’s see what we’ve got on the timetable for today:
- 16:00 UTC: James Westby will talk about using “BZR for packaging”. Revision control making our life a lot lot easier.
- 17:00 UTC: Cesare Tirabassi will be up next and demonstrate “How to update a package properly”. The perfect session if you want a newer version and avoid the common pitfalls.
- 18:00 UTC: Mathias Gug will give us the “Introduction to the Server Team”. Be part of the awesomeness in server space, Mathias will show you how!
- 19:00 UTC: Celso Providelo is with us today again and will give the “Introduction to PPAs”. Learn everything about getting packages built and published for you and your team.
- 20:00 UTC: The french dream team of Christophe Sauthier and Didier Roche will show us “Various ways to patch a package”. It was interesting to see how many people in the previous sessions knew about patch systems already. Here’s the promised session!
I don’t know about you, but I’m totally excited. I hope to see you all there! :-)